Sunday, July 3, 2011


Creme header-horz
Generation 1 ~ Chapter 1

Three agonizing weeks later I was still at my mother’s. If I could sum it up, I would call it a Golden Hell. A color that was beautiful in every way, until the day a evil golden child was born.  That was Bitter Lemon and I had the misfortune of calling him my step-father.  Or rather “My mother’s husband,” since I refused to call him anything that implied he had father like qualities.  He had none.  I had been a major inconvenience in his quest for my mother’s heart. “A fatherless child” he would call me, as though it were my own fault that I was born out of wedlock.  He was the very bane of my existence, the driving force behind my mother’s personality change, and the reason I left home at the young age of 16. My past was of little importance though, because I needed to live in today.  And today, my grandparents were in town.  Unlike my mother and her husband, my grandparents were my world.  I loved them dearly, and as their only grandchild they smothered me in love.  Every good memory I’ve had since my mother met Bitter involves them.  Before Bitter they involved my mother too I thought. A sigh escaped my lips as I plopped down on the chair.

Screenshot-33

It had been a long day at the cafĂ© and coming home to this house always depressed me.  Thankfully my grandparents had invited me out for dinner, so I would be saved at least one night of misery.  Looking down at my watch I realized I had just enough time for a shower. Thank Goodness I said with a sigh of relief I don’t want to smell like seafood for one more second.

Screenshot-38

As we drove to the restaurant, my grandparents told me about their travels.  They laughed and poked fun at each other as they told me stories of wine making and cozy campgrounds.  If I was lucky, someday I would have that type of love.  The type of love that outlasted any and everything.

Screenshot-46

“Well, were here”  my grandfather said as he came to a stop and shut off the car.  I looked around quickly and realized we were nowhere near a restaurant.  What’s going on? I asked as I began to look around.

Screenshot-66

“We know you dear” My grandma said as she put her hand on my cheek. “And we know your mother and her husband.” My grandfather added as he put his hand on my grandmothers back.  “Which means we know you are miserable. And since you turned down our offer to come to Chambery and live with us.  We decided to come here and help make things a little less miserable.” my grandma said as she placed something in my hand and closed it.  I opened my hand and looked down wondering what they were talking about. A Key? I questioned “Yes dear. To your new house.” my grandfather said as he ushered me up the walk.

Screenshot-57

“There’s not much furniture, but you have what you need: my grandma said as she opened the door.  Still in shock, I couldn’t do anything but stand there. But, this is too much! I replied in disbelief. “You just let us worry about that dear” my grandfather said before adding “Now who is hungry?”

Screenshot-55

I thanked them all the way to the restaurant and most of the way through dinner before my grandmother stopped me. “That’s enough with the thank you’s dear. You know we love you, that we’d do anything for you.” “And you know we couldn’t let you live with that berry hole another minute” my grandfather added with a smirk on his face. “Sour, the language! Really, it’s like you were raised in a barn.” My grandma exclaimed. I tried my hardest to contain my laughter, but I failed miserably.  My grandfather quickly chimed in with his own hearty laughter.  And after a attempt at disapproving glances at the two of us, my grandmothers body shook with laughter.  “He is kind of a berry hole” She added.

Screenshot-75

My night had turned out better than I could have ever expected. After dinner my grandparents had went with me back to my mothers and made small talk while I packed my bags.  Since I didn’t have much, there wasn’t much to pack and after about 20 minutes I was ready.

Screenshot-42

I said goodbye to my mother and thanked her accordingly before getting into the care with my grandparents.  They dropped me off here with promises of brunch tomorrow morning. And that was it.  I was alone, in a house that belonged to me and no one else.  Something that no one could take from me, or hold against me.  I was home.  I fell back onto the bed and lay there well into the night thinking of ways to decorate my new house.

Screenshot-73

The rest of my grandparents visit went by pretty quickly.  I spent every moment I had off from work with them and when it came time to see them go I was sad.  “We’ll come back for a visit soon” my grandmother said with tears in her eyes “Till then, make sure you eat well and keep all the doors locked.” I will grandma, I love you I replied as I hugged them both. “See you soon honey” my grandfather said as he kissed my forehead.  I waved goodbye as their cab pulled away and as I closed the door, I realized for the first time in a long time, I was truly alone.

Screenshot-34

5 comments:

  1. I like this. i also really like the green waiter in the background, he looks very cute.

    If you get a chance I'd be grateful if you wouldn't mind checking out my new rainbowcy and letting me know what you think.

    Look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! The green waiter may be hanging around in future chapters *wink WInk*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great chapter cant wait for the next one :)~princess1616

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Indianprincess1818 Thank you so much! Chapter two is up now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your story!! Keep up the awesome work, on to chapter two :D

    ReplyDelete