Thursday, July 14, 2011


Creme header-horz

Generation 1 ~ Chapter 2
 I looked around The Cove at the hanging artwork.  It was hard to even believe this was all happening.  It had only been six months since my grandparents left and I already had a show.  Well, that’s getting ahead of myself.  It wasn’t MY show, but my artwork was being included and it felt great.  Bringing my attention back to my own masterpiece, I felt a sense of pride.  Thank goodness I left my job at the cafĂ©

Screenshot-64

“So, is this yours?” A familiar, yet unknown voice asked.  Yes I replied as I stepped back to give the stranger a chance to look.  “Hey, I think I waited on you a couple months ago.  Sugar right?”  So that was why he sounded familiar.  We must have either been really loud or really obnoxious for you to remember us. I said jokingly.  “No, you weren’t rude. But I could never forget someone as beautiful as you.”  My face burned as I looked away in embarrassment. “I’m Moss by the way.” He added as I stared at my painting, trying to figure our what to say.  It’s nice to meet you I finally replied I’m Sugar.  Stupid! He already knows your name you idiot.  I thought as panic rose in my throat.  Or maybe it was vomit.  It could definitely be vomit.  “Yeah” He said with a chuckle  “So Sugar, would you be interested in getting dinner sometime?”  Yeah, I’d uh love to I stammered as I tried to compose myself and stuff down all the nervous energy that was boiling over.  “How about tonight?”  Moss said bluntly.  Tonight?  Sure, yeah,  tonight sounds great.  “Is six ok?” He questioned.  Perfect!  Well, I have to go.  Errands to run.  I explained as I backed up a few steps and began to turn away.

Screenshot-58 

“I’m going to need an address.”  He said with a smile.  Right, of course.  I smiled and walked towards him feeling like the worlds stupidest person.  As I wrote my address in his notepad I cursed myself over and over again.  There you go.  I said as I hooked the pen on one of the notebook’s spirals.  I looked up and realized that we were incredibly close and despite the smell of flowers in the air, he had a deep and musky aroma that made me wish he’d wrap me up in his arms forever.  I’ll….see you at six  I said as I smiled and backed away. “six” He replied with a wave and a smile.

Screenshot-66 

None of these outfits were right.  I was going for a casual, but not too casual look. It wasn’t working.  Ughh, if I’d only thought to ask where we were going I said with a sigh.  This will just have to do I told myself.  I completed my outfit with a cute pair of heels and made my way to the bathroom to check my makeup one last time.

 Screenshot-69

I was scrutinizing a small spot on my cheek, trying to decide if it was a blemish or freckle when the doorbell rang.  Ok, Ok, collect yourself  I said as I took a deep breath and shook out my arms.  You can do this Sugar, it’s not the first guy you’ve ever dated for heavens sake.  With those final words of wisdom from my inner grandma, I opened the door.

 Screenshot-70

“I wasn’t sure what color to get, so I went with white.”  he smiled as he placed them in my hands “Are you ready?”  All set.  Where are we going anyway?  I asked as we made our way to his truck.  “That is a surprise.” He replied “One of many to come” he added as he opened the door for me.  Moss hopped into the driver’s seat and as we began to drive away he looked over at me and smiled.

 Screenshot-71

Five minutes later we were in front of the beach.  The beach?  I questioned as I stood at the edge of the walkway “Yep, we are going to have a picnic.” Moss stated as he grabbed a few things from his truck.  But it’s going to be dark anytime. I replied with a slight note of concern as I stared out over the water.  “I’ll take care of you, I promise” He added.  I brought my gaze back in from the water and once again found myself incredibly close to Moss.  He smelled the same as before and it brought to mind images of a dewy pine forest.  All I could do was smile You better I added as we made our way to the edge of the water.

Screenshot-73 Screenshot-79

We laughed as we relived stories of horrible customers and watched the sunset.  Before I realized it, the sun was gone and the cool night had surrounded us. “Do you see those two stars right there? Moss asked as his attention turned to the sky.  I looked up and instantly knew he was talking about the two solitary stars in the sky.  They must be pretty lonely up there  I added.  “No, they have each other.  The two lovers”  He began to tell their story and I suddenly found myself close enough to smell that intoxicating smell once again.

 Screenshot-89
Screenshot-93

By the end of the story neither of us were staring at the sky anymore.  “And that is why they’ll be together forever” He said finishing his story, but continuing to look directly at me.  Slowly his hand slid up my arm and to my face.  I quickly looked down feeling slightly intimidated by his intense stare.  His hand gently brought my face back up.  “There’s nothing to be scared of” He said in a voice that matched his earthy scent  “I’d never do anything to hurt you.”  With that he brought his lips to mine.  It was the most delicate, yet strong and affirming kiss I’d ever had.  This just might be the best night of my life I thought as one kiss turned into twenty.

Screenshot-96
Screenshot-97
Screenshot-101

Just as I thought this night was about to head into a display of public indecency.  Moss stood up and offered his hand to me.  I placed my hand in his and he pulled me up and  led me to a lounge chair.  We lie there well into the night as he explained the meaning of all the star groups.

 Screenshot-87

As the sun rose he dropped me off at my front door with one last kiss.  I closed the door as he left and made my way to the couch.  Best date ever I thought as my eyes closed and I drifted off to sleep.

Screenshot-104

3 comments: